Getting out of bed is never easy but setting yourself up with a good morning routine is the perfect motivator for getting up and getting your day started on a good note. Morning routines have been become super popular in the last few years, with everyone from influencers to politicians to business moguls sharing their routines.
So why is there so much hype around morning routines anyway? Having a consistent routine can really help you to set yourself up for success for the entire day. Without a plan in place, our mornings can feel scattered, rushed, and uninspiring, but when you have a routine in place, you’ll start your day on a much more positive note, which can ripple into a much more positive mood for the rest of your day.
The important thing to remember is that you’re aiming to create your ideal morning routine, not someone else’s. Rather than filling up your morning with what you think it should look like (you know, the “perfect” up-at-sunrise-meditation-morning-run-smoothie type morning), create a morning routine that truly suits you and makes you happy. It’s your morning, and you get to decide exactly how it looks!
Prep the night before
We are firm believers that a good morning routine starts the night before. Most of us don’t have a lot of time to spare in the mornings, so by prepping ahead of time, you can free up a lot of time and leave space for a much more relaxed morning.
Things like prepping your breakfast, packing your lunch, picking out your outfit and writing out your daily to-do list can all be done the night before and save you precious time the next day.
And of course, you can’t have a good morning if you don’t have a good sleep! Getting to bed at a decent time will help you to feel energized and refreshed for the day ahead (our super soft organic bedding makes getting a good sleep a breeze).
Decide what you need from your routine
As we said earlier, your morning routine is just that- yours! No two morning routines will look exactly alike because no two people are alike. When creating your routine, think about what you need from your morning. Is it a chance to fit in a workout before a busy day? An opportunity to take some time for yourself before the kids wake up? A time to tune in to yourself with meditation and journaling? Deciding what you want and need from your mornings will help you to figure out what kinds of activities you need to factor into your routine.
Choose your activities
Now that you have an idea of the kind of morning you want to have, you can start to choose your morning routine activities! Here are just a few morning activities that you can consider for your routine that will help to set you up for a great day.
- Go for a walk. Natural light and fresh air are an amazing way to get yourself energized for the day.
- Journal. Journaling can be so therapeutic and help you to centre yourself for the day ahead.
- Meditate. Even just a few minutes sitting in silence and focusing on your breathing can do wonders!
- Practice hydrotherapy. Alternating your morning shower temperature between warm and cool water is a great way to get your blood pumping, and it’s like a natural shot of espresso! You’ll feel instantly energized.
- Exercise. Kick off your day with a good sweat session for an instant energy boost.
- Watch your favorite show. That’s right- you can totally watch TV as part of your morning routine! Waking up will be that much easier when you know it means getting to watch a good show (or read a good book).
- Enjoy a good breakfast. Rather than grabbing something on to go, take some time to make yourself and sit down to enjoy a delicious breakfast.
Don’t go overboard
All too often, we create too many expectations for ourselves when we’re starting something new, and we end up overwhelmed and ditching our well-intentioned plans. Our morning routines don’t need to be perfect or filled with activities. Choose a simple routine to begin with and then add in more things if you choose and feel you have the time for them.
Ensure a good morning with a good night’s sleep! Check out our collection of organic bedding here to get your best sleep ever.